[amc] a note from the pastor

  • From: Garland Robertson <pastor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Austin Mennonite Church <amc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 15:31:27 -0500

Members and Friends of Austin mennonite Church

I pray you are encouraged as you continue your journey of faith.

Many persons have a conception that God is a raging, wrathful presence ceaselessly monitoring individual conduct in order to prepare an appropriate punishment for accumulated offenses.  And some persons have no awareness of the reality of God at all in their routine behaviors.  From a practical standpoint there is no way to prove or demonstrate what God is or is not doing.  In observing the circumstances that occur to persons across the globe, one might easily conclude that God is disengaged from human affairs.  Why do bad things happen to good people?  Why does disaster seem to strike in the most desperate situations upon those who have very limited resources and defenses?  Why do wars rage and destroy the lives of innocent persons who are incidentally at home in disputed regions?  Religious professionals condemned Jesus for seeking companionship with persons believed to be vile and destructive, whose existence seemed to create disruptions like current components do to complicate the lives of others.  The prevailing attitude was that life would be much better without these misfits, much like we conclude that life would be much better without tragic disruptions that distress humans.  Jesus addressed this issue, informing his accusers about what God was doing.   Maybe we can find assurance in this revelation, that in spite of appearance, God has a purpose.

The texts we will consider this next Sunday are Exodus 32:7-14; Luke 15:1-10; and 1 Timothy 1:12-17.  Thoughts prompted by these passages will compose the sermon, 'Idolatry as denying the nature of God.'

During the Sanctuary class discussion, I will talk about my recent experiences with CPT in northern Iraq.

Persons will be invited to sign the covenant to be church together throughout this month during the worship services.

On the second Sundays of each month i will continue to provide an opportunity for anointing with oil and a pray for healing/blessing.

Below find the announcements for this next week and the worship schedule for the remaining weeks in September.

May it go well with you.  Sincerely,
Garland Robertson

ANNOUNCEMENTS (Sep 12-25)

Contemplative Prayer Group organizational discussion after the service in the youth Sunday school room, Sunday Sep 12..
LindaMarieSnow@xxxxxxxxx

The Women of the Church will meet this next Thursday, Sep 16, at 7p in Laura’s home.

The 3rd annual National Assembly to Honor Freedom of Conscience, Central Presbyterian Church, 8th and Brazos:  Friday, Oct 1, Music Concert for Peace, 8-11p.  The National Assembly, Saturday, Oct 2:  Registration/Refreshments, 8:30; Opening session, 9.  Find more information at honorconscience.org.  All events are free; donations accepted.

September 2010

19

Proper 20

Peace Sunday

Theme: From the rising of the sun.

Amos 8:4-7           Ps  113                    Luke `16:1-13                      1 Tim 2:1-7

Judy

Dixie

Jared

Marilyn

Linda

Stacy

Craig M

Pat

Bob Knipe

Youth

Alex

26

Proper 21

Theme: Be rich in good works.

Amos 6:1a, 4-7         Ps 146                                          Luke 16:19-31        1 Tim 6:6-19

Dixie

Susie(?)

Michael

Garland