[amayausers] Re: Needle Breaks

  • From: "HK Acree" <hkacree@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Mar 2005 08:08:25 -0800

Mike,
My first thought on this is that your wings may need adjusting. It sounds
like as the cap is sewing you are beginning to pull the fabric and as the
needle penetrates it is also being pulled causing it to strike the plate. I
sewed some Flex Fits a while back and swore them off as far as trying them
again any time soon. They are way to stretchy for my liking. Hooping was a
pain and my quality was junk. Trace your design and watch closely as it gets
to the area you are having problems with. If you see any movement in the
fabric try to adjust your wings to eliminate it. Also look to be sure the
bill is not contacting the back of the needle carriage. This will also cause
the fabric to move and cause problems. When I hoop structured caps I make it
a habit to bend the bill back towards the top a bit before I hoop it, I find
this lets the cap relax and lay closer to the needle plate, especially near
the bill of the cap. This may or may not help you to get the fabric down
close to the plate. Go forward in your stitch count to the place where you
are having problems and check how far the material presses down before
hitting the plate. If it is more than about 1/8 inch it is too much. (In my
humble opinion). When you hoop it try to find a way to get this part of the
cap to lay down some more, a little tug here or there? One thing I would try
would be full backing. My thought here is that as stretchy as these are,
"maybe", if I get the sides stabilized so they wont stretch around as much
it may keep the front from wiggling as well. I may also be out of my mind
but there's my $.02 worth.

Herb
Royal Embroidery