[amayausers] Re: Amaya

  • From: MDallumCO@xxxxxxx
  • To: amayausers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2003 11:54:30 EDT

Everyone thinking of buying an Amaya-
Let me set your minds at ease.  We are entering our third year in the
embroidery business - still new in many ways, but we have 2 Amayas that we
purchased
June 2002 and an EMT-10T F1 from when we 1st started.  We do a lot of
production.  We are in sports, schools, business, craft fairs - we really run
the
gammet.

Initially, there were issues with the Amayas - like most new technology, only
so much "Real World" can be created by engineers.  Many of the issues we had
were related to small lettering, walk stitches, etc.  Let me assure you that
those issues have been worked out - we would have gone with Tajima and gotten
rid of the Amayas if Melco didn't step up and fix the problems.  We were at
great risk of losing a lot of money.  Melco did everything they could to fix
all
of our issues.

Now, we run the Amayas, even with small lettering (.25 and smaller), at an
average speed of 1100.  We are extremely picky, as anyone from Melco will tell
you (they heard from us often when the Amayas were still being refined).  Our
embroidery looks fantastic.  Even on hats, we now solely use the Amayas, unless
we have really large runs.  The set-up is easy, operation is faster (850-950)
and the quality is great.  The laser is a necessary tool for us now - fixing
mess-ups or adding to embroidery of someone else's is so easy.

Design Shop is what we use - I can't really give you much comparison because
we have only used Melco's software.  It can do 90% of what we need.  We have
gotten into bigger things, with more intricate designs, that we have someone
else digitize for us, but that doesn't happen often.  If you are not going to
digitize yourself, consider 2 things - get Dakota Collectibles or Great Notions
stock designs and make sure you use a digitizer that is familiar with the
Amaya.  Unnecessary stitches, many manual stitches and ill-placed stitches do
cause more headaches than they are worth.  We have found really cheap
digitizers
may not have the experience to punch a clean design.

If you have any questions, please feel free to email me privately or on the
list.  As we have entered our busy time, I may not be able to post quickly, but
I will get back with you ASAP.

Melissa Dallum
Absolutely in Stitches
Arvada, CO