[access-uk] Re: audio descriptions

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2008 16:09:46 +0100

This is from teh BBC annual accounts for 2007-2008:

The BBC is committed to making its programmes as accessible as possible to
all audience groups. In 2007/08 we exceeded all our access targets. See
charts
5-7.

We subtitled over 46,000 hours of programming - up year-on-year, and on
target to meet our 100% target by 2008/09. BBC Parliament and BBC HD are not
subject
to Ofcom targets, but nonetheless added a further combined 1,388 hours.

Our target for programming to be audio described increased from 8% to 10%
this year. This target does not apply to the News Channel due to the nature
of
its rolling news output, and does not apply to BBC Parliament, BBCi and BBC
HD due to audience size.

chart5: Programmes Subtitled, by service, %
Chart 5 shows the percentage of programmes subtitled on BBC television
channels. Both BBC One and BBC Two subtitled over 97% of output last year -
and the
other channels subtitled over 91%.
Chart6: Programmes Audio Described, by service, %
Chart 6 shows the percentage of programmes audio described on BBC television
channels. All qualifying channels - BBC One, BBC Two, BBC Three, BBC Four,
CBBC and CBeebies - exceeded the 10% target last year.