[access-uk] Re: audio descriptions

  • From: "Barry Hill" <bbinc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <access-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2008 18:41:48 +0100

We need Sky or to buy a special freeview box to get AD whereas a sighted
person can watch BBC channels with a terestrial aerial.

[In 2005, the broadcasting watchdog Ofcom stipulated that 76 channels must
carry AD. Current regulations state that all BBC channels must audio
describe
at least 8% of their programmes per week, the rest of the channels mentioned
have slightly lower targets, but all are raised by Ofcom every 2 years.].
So, should we pay 8% of the licence fee, raising by 2% each year?

There's no way that audio description can come close to describing the
special effects that are produced on TV these days.  For instance, I am told
that Doctor Who has favulous computer generated effects.

So, where's the equality there?

Barry