[24hoursupport] Re: Windows Explorer behaving strangely

  • From: "Helen Forster" <helen_forster@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <24hoursupport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2002 22:48:57 +0100

Jim,

When I run msconfig I have my little internet timer running (No Frills
Timer), power saving on the screen, tweakui and a registry scan/backup (this
is a PC that was setup by my work, but after major problems with it I
re-installed Window98).  I'm usually pretty good at being able to sort out
these  kind of problems, but this one just keeps on cropping up.  Explorer
is still slow even when I have nothing else at all running.  If I run
something like memturbo or cacheman it tells me I have around 400mg ram free
and no CPU usage, hence my confusion.  I've defragged, and at first it
seemed better but now is slow again.  Everything else seems to run at normal
speed. I have a lot directories and sub-directories with many graphics files
in, but I'm only using about 7mg of the hard disk up because I frequently
move stuff onto CD-RW.

Thanks for all the help from this wonderful group.
Helen