[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: Sam Elamin <hussam_88@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:55:17 +0000

Hey Clinton
Sorry for the late reply but Iw as rebuilding my PC with Windows 7 because I
heard that it is better as a printer driver building enviroment.
I have read your email and have a few questions:
1) Did you use WDK to develop your driver? Did you write your driver yourself?
2) How do I start devloping this PostScript parser? and since its Postscript
does it mean that I wont be ableto print to PCL drivers? Or willconverting it
to PDF do the trick?
3) I have no idea what you mean by using Port monitors, is there any reference
I can go back to and learn from?
4) I think for testing purposes we might have to assume no errors and get the
actual driver working before installing checks to look for errors
I just feel really lost and overwhelmed, where is the best place to start?
RegardsSam
From: clinton@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver
Date: Sun, 28 Mar 2010 10:32:58 +0100

Hi
Sam,
I'm doing this off the
tail end of what seems like a long discussion.
Not sure if you have
your answer yet but might have a few design ideas for you.
What you are trying to
achieve has been done before and is possible.
Back in 2002 I was faced
with a similar issue. Getting a document off the client PC and sending it round
the world to an unknown print server.
The solution is a
combination of technologies that each do their own part..

1.) I used a PostScript
print driver ( Generic PPD will do the job ) that pass the print stream onto a
portmonitor ( this gives you the control to assign to random filename and pass
onto the next module either WebService or in my case a socket service
client ).

THINGS TO
REMEMBER:
If you are to allow for
duplex, orientation, colour etc, then you will need to gather this info and
"drag" it along. I developed a PostScript parser that drives through the spool
file ( PostScript ) extracts these bits and then passes this with the file
along
( make use of network sockets and send as parameters or HASH index - a
WenService or Socket listener would need to manage these parameters ). OR
in the world of WebServices pass over an XML stream that can be
managed.

On the "Server" side
either convert to a generic format i.e. PDF which then can be converted over to
MOST printer specific languages

2.) Develop a
portmonitor that manages the spoolfile and controls calling the "service
client"
either webservice or sockets. Remember to remove the file and close portinfo
thus removing the JOB off the print queue.

3.) The bigest problem
with transmitting data around is that we forget about the wonderful worl of
TCP/IP packets and ERROR checking. What happens if network goes down during
transmission, do I restart, fail, notify user or cycle through a number of
socket trying to establish connection.

Hope this helps for
starters.
Clinton