[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: Rune Moberg <jjflash@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 11:13:47 +0100

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 10:49 AM, Sam Elamin <hussam_88@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> So the student might no particularly have access to the server. Thats why I
> was hoping for a printer that uploads a file to a server, I have a .net
> application that uploads a file given the path but it seems the print driver
> does not read the path. So maybe I can send the Spool file that achieve what
> i am trying.

I am not sure 'don't have access to the print server, so the user will
go through another server' is a sound design. Why is your server more
reachable than the print server? Have you discussed this issue with
the network admins?

But OK, the DDK has a "bitmap" printer driver that will, with
relatively few modifications, produce a nice bitmap (.BMP). How about
grabbing that and dispatch the bitmap (as a compressed tiff or png) to
your server and then handle the queue from there?

The advantages is that you won't have to face the headache of
installing the printer's driver on the client's machine. They simply
install your driver and it is reasonably straight forward from there.
But all the rendering of the print job will be performed on the
client's machine rather than at the printer.

--
Rune
---