[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: Steve Friedl <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:22:02 -0700

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 04:18:14PM +0000, Sam Elamin wrote:
> I am trying to develop a printer driver which will be installed on a client
> side, what i need this driver to do is just save the path of documents sent
> to it to a string and forward that string to an ASP.NET application which
> will upload the document to a print server.
>
> now i already have the upload client working so here is the scenario which
> the printer will work on.
>
> Document "X" is printed to a printer with the installed driver (Printer "A")
>
> Printer "A" will then get the path of the given document and save it to
> string "Path", "Path" will then be sent to a Webpage which will upload it.
>
> I kept it as basic as possible because i just want to know if it could be
> done?

I'm not encouraged that this can be done: a print driver is given a sequence of
graphics instructions, and generally doesn't know the path of the input
document.

This is in part because the input document may not have a path at all: if you're
doing a print-screen or the like, there's no file anywhere to have a name of.

I doubt you're going to get anywhere with this :-(

Steve

--
Stephen J Friedl  | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  | 714 694-0494
steve@xxxxxxxxxxx | Orange County, CA   | Microsoft MVP |  unixwiz.net