[WinPrnDev] Re: Creating a Printer Driver

  • From: Steve Friedl <steve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: winprndev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 23 Mar 2010 09:35:26 -0700

On Tue, Mar 23, 2010 at 04:26:00PM +0000, Sam Elamin wrote:
> But in a way i dont really mind if its not a print driver, as long as the end
> user expeirence is that of a printer. So they click file,print and then
> choose a printer (which is my application).

If you want a random application to do this, I think you may be out of luck.

The only "hook" we have -- as far as I know -- is the print driver interface,
and that's farther down the chain than you need. The GDI doesn't have any
notion of file or filename, only graphics commands, and even the support
for dialog boxes in a print driver is only about setting options, not any
handle on anything like a filename.

I don't believe there are any other generic mechanisms to let you intercept
an application's menu this way.

Sorry :-(

> So in a way i want an application that acts as a printer on the front end,
> but just a string passer on the back end.
> does that make sense to you?

> Send us your Hotmail stories and be featured in our newsletter
Stephen J Friedl  | Security Consultant |  UNIX Wizard  | 714 694-0494
steve@xxxxxxxxxxx | Orange County, CA   | Microsoft MVP |  unixwiz.net
---
Questions? First check the UndocPrint pages at
http://www.undocprint.org/winspool