[windows2000] Re: OT - Study Texts for MCSA/MCSE

  • From: Jeff Malczewski <jeff.malczewski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 21:24:54 -0500

I would STRONGLY recommend against the use of "braindumps", for
numerous reasons.  First, if you've ever taken a M$ exam before, or if
you use high-quality testing materials (like Transcenders), you'll
already have a feel for the exam, so you'll know the question format.
Second, you are relying on other people's memory of the questions, the
answer, and what they "think" or "have found" to be the correct
answer.  That's not necessarily always the case.  Having taken
numerous M$ exams myself, as well as a couple other vendors, I can
tell you that the instant the exam is over, I'm cooked.  70-292, which
I took 3 weeks ago is a prime example.  56 questions, 120 minutes. You
do the math, it's just over 2 minutes per question.  The questions are
QUITE verbose, and I almost didn't make it.  I had less than three
minutes to spare, in contrast to 70-240 where there were like
50-some-odd questions, but you were give 4 1/2 hours to answer them.
I have ALWAYS finished every exam I've taken with over half the
allotted time remaining, but with the new exam format, this doesn't
seem to hold true.  There is just enough time to read them, understand
them, and answer them, forget about memorizing them.

As for study material, for 70-240 I used the Exam Prep, for 70-219 I
used the Exam Cram and the MS Press study guide (dry, but
comprehensive).  For 70-292, I felt I knew the material pretty well,
but I still used the Sybex MCSA/MCSE 2003 Upgrade book (pretty good),
and the Exam Cram 2 (terrible.  The first series of Cram books were
great, but the second generation leave much to be desired, IMHO).  For
practice tests, I used the Exam Blaster from Cert21.  It was decent,
but for $49 for 6 different tests (as in tests on 6 different exams,
not 6 on one exam), plus a CCNA exam, and 3 months access to online
streaming training videos, what could you expect?  It was adequate,
but only with plenty of prior knowledge of the OS and the material.

If this is your first M$ exam, I would HIGHLY recommend using
Transcenders for your practice exams.  They offer a money-back
guarantee, so what can you lose (never had to take them up on it, so I
can't speak as to the ease/difficulty of this process, but they are
VERY highly rated, and I have used them before, EXCELLENT).  As for
study guides, I would recommend the MS Press books, but you must
compliment them with something else for a more real-world feel.  The
MS Press series are excellent, but plan on drinking roughly one pot of
coffee per chapter to stay awake.

HTH,
Jeff