[windows2000] Re: OT: Certification misrepresentation?

  • From: Jeff Malczewski <jmalczewski@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <windows2000@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jul 2004 15:07:52 -0400

No idea when, or even if.  About 2 or 3 weeks ago I received an email from
MS at my registered email account (you have to register with them to access
the MCP secured site), and it was a request to take a survey about
enhancements to the MCP program.  All the questions were specifically about
the MCSE cert, and that was what they were all centered around.  "How do you
like the program now, how would you rate it's usefulness/relevance to
employers, how motivated are you to keep your certifications current, etc
etc" and then the same questions again assuming that the program were
changed to the way I described it below.

There are NUMEROUS advantages they discussed for the Master MCSEs, such as
letters of congratulations to employers (like when a company hires a Master
MCSE, the MCSE would let MS know and then they'd send a letter to the
employer saying "Congrats on hiring one of the best of the best" type of
thing), and the one that's driving me right now, IF they make this change,
is that they would give Master MCSE's access to the INTERNAL Microsoft
Knowledge Base, like the same one the PSS guys use when you call in....
Plus they talked about free test re-takes if you ever happen to fail one
(you still have to pay for it the first time), and discounts/freebies on NFR
software, that type of thing..  From the looks of the survey, MS is very
interested in keeping it's program up to date, and making it worthwhile for
those that choose to pursue it.  And, with the Nil/3year/5year requirements,
weeding out the paper, at least for now...  I'm not sure I agree with the
"Most current" deal though..  I think it should be "Most current or
immediate predecessor"..  So if it went into effect tomorrow, Master MCSE's
would be people with 5 years experience and an MCSE in either 2000 or 2003..
But, I'm not designing the program, so it's up to them.  :)