[SI-LIST] Re: SI Simulation of GHz signals

  • From: Julian Ferry <julian.ferry@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'clifford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <clifford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 16:16:12 -0400

Hello Clifford

You have touched on some topics that are near and dear to me (and a few
others, I am sure). I think I can safely say that there are some simulation
methods appropriate for these speeds that are both robust and reliable. But
they haven't quite been reduced to the realm of "simple" yet.

Spice in its various flavors is highly accurate, assuming the models are
accurate.  But as you have observed, run times can be so slow as to be
impractical.  Simulators based on behavioral type models can provide much
more reasonable run times, and if care is taken in developing and
implementing the models, they can provide excellent accuracy as well.

IBIS is an approach into which we here at Samtec are putting some major
effort. But the official interconnect standard is so new that very few (if
any?) simulation tools will actually accept such models for input.  Of
course, it is on the road map for implementation by most of the major
players, and we are committed to providing models that meet this standard.
We will be rolling them out starting in the next few months.  In the mean
time, we provide what we call "IBIS like" models that have been optimized
for use in several simulators. You can find those at our website
www.samtec.com.

S-parameters work well for certain applications, but there are a few
downsides (like model flexibility) associated with their use as well. You
can expect to see more work from us in that area soon too.

Currently we have worked with some SI system consultants (most notably,
Teraspeed Consulting Group)to develop some combined simulation approaches.
In a nutshell, we use spice models where we can, and use a full wave 3d
field solver to generate s-parameters for structures that don't lend
themselves well to spice models.

We had a joint presentation with Teraspeed at DesignConn that described this
process. You can download a copy here:

http://www.samtec.com/reference/articles/pdfs/advances_in_modeling_interconn
ects_DesignCon_East_0404.pdf

We have also taken a slightly different approach to this problem. Since such
simulations aren't yet a simple cut and paste operation, we take this task
on ourselves for some general cases.  Part of this process leads to what we
call "Final Inch". In the Final Inch, we design a PCB layout for a certain
connector under various signal/ground conditions. We develop models of the
connector, pcb break out region, and traces. You can license this design
from us at no charge, and we provide all the associated models (and test
data that validates them). You can cut and paste this design into your
system design, and cut and paste the models into your system simulation.

We have recently taken this process one step further and begun to provide
app notes for specific applications.  Fortunately, one of the first
applications we chose was a XUAI application based on the Xilinx Rocket I/O.
You can find more information on that here:

http://www.samtec.com/reference/articles/pdfs/QXE-DP_FI_XAUI_5mm_appl_notes.
pdf

A list of other applications currently available can be found here:

 http://www.samtec.com/reference/articles/articles.asp

Basically, we are trying to do as much of this simulation work as possible
on the front end.  It just doesn't make sense for engineers the world over
to have to reinvent the wheel with some of this stuff. You might be able to
use our designs and models as is, or you might need to use bits and pieces,
with a few tweaks required for your particular application.  But this should
definitely assist you in getting started.

If you have any questions, feel free to drop a line to me, or to
SIG@xxxxxxxxxxx  We have a group of engineers who's job is to help you
choose an appropriate high speed interconnect, and to help you interpret our
data and implement our models.

Julian Ferry
High Speed Engineering Manager
Samtec, Inc