[SI-LIST] Re: SI Simulation of GHz signals

  • From: "databits" <databits@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <clifford@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 19:50:16 -0500

Clifford...

The best solution that I have found:

** Use S-Parameter models for all the passive devices...=20
** Use a SPICE model for the driver/receiver as received from your =
vendor

** Get a mixed mode simulator that has a native harmonic balance / =
frequency
domain system  (Ansoft Designer or Agilent ADS, other??).  The harmonic
balance is the frequency domain portion, while the time domain is =
typically
handle by some method of convolution.

Sparameter simulations by themselves are lightning fast!  The time =
domain
sim (i.e. convolution) does slow things down a little...  but it is a =
heck
of a lot faster than a stack of hspice models for the passives.

In my experience, I have been able to get a...
"transmitter, 0.125 meter daughter card, connector, 1 meter backplane,
connector, 0.125 meter daughter card, receiver"=20
... to solve in less than 10 minutes for 3, 6, 10, 10+ GB/s

Of course, the generation of the sparam models took significantly =
longer.
But then again that is where the passive vendor comes in to play. =20

(Being involved in the passive interconnect market, the company I work =
for
does this kind of work all the time to support our products.  Get me =
offline
for further details.)

With regards to passives... s-parameter models... and the sparameter =
models
that have signal / return tailored to a specific application....  Well,  =
it
is definitely easier to create specific pattern sparam models... But =
sparam
modes that do not have a specific return path predefined can also be =
made in
many cases and have been done that way for years. =20

I did a bunch of work in the IBIS interconnect standard...  and got a =
number
of hooks built in such that the standard allows for multiple types of
modeling methods... but also provides a format to map nodes to pins of
externally referenced s-param models.  S-Parameters were specifically
include to handle multiple frequency and lossy effects!

I my (not so) humble opinion,  the sparameter will be the defacto model
standard for speedy passive (cable, connector, pcb) interconnect =
modeling.
If needed, the IBIS standard can help with creating a standard node =
mapping.
But you can always use the standard touchstone file.

If needed feel free to contact me directly.

_gus