[SI-LIST] Re: SI Simulation of GHz signals

  • From: "Russell D. Moser" <r.moser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <fzanella@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Jul 2004 11:32:05 -0400

 I am proud to see such spirited discussion and questions especially from
those with who I have had the opportunity to work with.

 I propose a thought that has been discussed over time.

 We feel (@ Orion) that we are at a point (and have been for awhile) in our
SI efforts where computational capacity and modeling methods are approaching
the variability of the components.

 Simply put, we have seen that variations in PWB, connector and cable
assemblies have finally been able to be discerned due to the granularity of
our models and simulators.

 In a former capacity, way back in the late 80's, we had customers ask how
our models correlated with manufacturing variability. As you'd expect, we
were working at edge rates of 1-5ns where such perturbations were not
discernable.

 Noting edge rates under 150ps (although those edges are quickly slowed),
our once lumped devices have now exposed their internal variability such as
those of internal geometries (in the case of connectors), materials (PWB
resin pooling, dielectric variability) and lay (in the case of cables.

 Many of us who have been around for quite awhile keep this in mind while
developing product, models and designs, I offer this as a bit of wisdom for
those whom are just entering into the field of SI. Do not de-focus on the
real-world nature of the components that we wish to model.

Regards,
___________________
Russell D. Moser
Orion Group
r.moser@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.theoriongroup.net
717.914.0116

~~~~~~~
This communication is for use by the intended recipient and may contain
privileged, confidential or copyrighted (under applicable law) information.
You are hereby formally notified, if you are not the intended recipient,
that any use, copying or distribution of this e-mail, partially or in its
entirety, is strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender by return e-mail
and delete this e-mail from your system.  Unless explicitly stated
otherwise, this e-mail does not constitute a contract offer, a contract
amendment, or an acceptance of a contract offer.   This e-mail does not
constitute a consent to the use of sender's contact information for direct
marketing purposes or for transfers of data to third parties.
copyright 2004 by  The Orion Group

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org