[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS Model Quality (or lack thereof)

  • From: "Jeremy Plunkett" <jeremy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: twester@xxxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 16:39:59 -0800

Hi Todd,
the test loads you describe below are very similar to ones that I =
typically use.  There is no single test load that is appropriate for all =
buffers; in general I use a test load that is the simplest possible =
representation of the actual load the buffer will drive in service.  For =
a terminated bus this would be a transmission line at the nominal trace =
impedance with the nominal termination at the endpoint(s) and a typical =
receiver load capacitance, or in the simplest case a resistor equal to =
the line impedance, connected to the termination voltage (useful for =
measuring the drive strength and output waveforms only, no reflection =
effects).  For an unterminated or series terminated bus, a test load =
with perfect termination to 1/2 VDD is not relevant, since this is a =
case that does not occur on the bus in service.  It may correlate fine, =
but even if it doesn't, that isn't necessarily a mark against the model. =
 For these busses the best test load is the 2nd one you describe with no =
termination on the line and a capacitance at the receiver.

Jeremy