[SI-LIST] Re: TDR's and ESD Protection

  • From: Noel Verbiest <nverbies@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, rfeldman@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 17:25:49 -0800

That's indeed correct. The culprit phenomena is the piezoelectric
behavior of a coax. The friction between the different materials used
in the cable will give rise to triboelectric currents which - in turn
- will become (very high sometimes) voltages if the cable is left
open.
Several manufacturers therefore make "low noise" coax cable, in which
the insulator materials are treated with graphite in order to reduce
the friction.
If "low noise" coax is not an option, then keep the center and shield
of the coax cable shorted until the very last moment before doing the
measurement.
When the cable is connected to the TDR, and the short is removed, the
cable should be as motionless as practically possible: no vibration
(because of a fan motor for example), absolutely no flexing of the
cable, no tapping or accidental touching with a hand or tool.
Of course, the longer the cable, the worse it becomes.

My $.02
Noel Verbiest.

List archives are viewable at: