[SI-LIST] Re: IBIS Model Quality (or lack thereof)

  • From: "Dunbar, Tony" <tony_dunbar@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: 'SI-List' <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 11:22:16 -0600

All,

As with other threads on the SI List, we are teetering on the brink of
getting away from the original question or topic. I apologize to Todd
up-front for pitching in and contributing further to the distractions with
my own comments. I also applaud Adam for his contribution and those he has
made in the past because, as far as I'm aware, he's the only Si vendor IBIS
model-maker that I ever see on the List. I'm ready to be flamed for that,
but I suspect I won't feel much heat because, somewhat indicative of the
problem, there are so few other IBIS model-makers on the List and/or have
any affinity for the end-user situation, as Todd indicated in his opening
post.

As regards the matter of IBIS model "cleansing service" and using that term
as a eupemism for "sanitization", I'm afraid the latter is often the more
appropriate one to use. The fact that this should even be necessary for a
simulation model is quite appalling to me. I, along with my customers, have
fought this for over 7 years. I know there are many on the list who have
fought it for longer. Please note that I am not saying that a model should
not be checked when it is received and prior to being used; that's only good
engineering practice.

But let me ask the following question, which, though stated in hypothetical
terms, it is not too wide of the mark:

If your ASIC or FPGA or any other Si vendor supplied digital simulation
models (e.g. VHDL or Verilog) to the same quality that many IBIS models are
supplied, would the industry tolerate it to the same extent poor quality
IBIS models are tolerated?

Sorry, but poor quality IBIS models is a pet subject of mine, since it
consumes so much of my time and that of my customers.

Regards,
Tony