[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: "Abe Riazi" <ARIAZI@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 22:18:24 -0700

Hi Martin:

Please find inserted my reply to your comments.

Martin Euredjian Wrote:

> Abe Riazi wrote:
> > ... in some other cases it is preferable to use multiple values of
> > capacitance (with low ESL) to satisfy a desired flat low PDS impedance
> over
> > a specified/broad frequency bandwidth.
>
> I've modeled (and, yes, models can't always be trusted) alternatives with
> hundreds of caps of different values and packages covering a range from
low
> frequency to high frequencies and in various combinations.  My conclusion
> from this experience is that you cannot achieve a "flat" impedance over a
> frequency range (probably obvious) and that the "shotgun" approach of
> peppering the board with a wide range of values may not produce a usable
> performance change.  This is due to the interplay of the RLC components in
> any capacitor producing the familiar V shaped impedance curve.  You can
get
> an impedance curve that has all these nicely spaced notches, but flat it
> will not be.

Actually, it is possible to obtain an impedance curve which is relatively
flat,
but it is influenced by several parameters such as frequency, ESR, number
and values of capacitors.
In reference 1, it is shown that for a two capacitor configuration the
mathematical
condition for obtaining an approximately flat impedance reponse curve is
given by:

ESR = X1 = -X2       (at anti-resonant points)

Where, X1 and X2 are the imaginary parts of each capacitor's impedance.

> And then the question is?  does it really need to be flat?  And super low?
> I mean --oversimplifying-- once the PDS can can deliver the required
current
> within a given frequency range, why go any lower?  Why introduce all these
> notches with dozens of capacitor values?

Minimizing noise/radiation and meeting timing and speed requirements are
among the reasons why it is desirabable for a power disctribution to possess
a (nearly) flat low impedance over a wide frequency range.
Please see references 2 and 3.

> The PDS I now have on paper consists of 16x 150uF, 0.1ohm tantalums and
73x
> 0.01uF, 0402 chip caps.  On paper, and in theory, this PDS can deliver an
> impedance of less-than 0.01ohms from about 20KHz to about 200MHz and
> less-than 0.05ohms from 200MHz to about 1GHz.  And, all else being
adequate,
> this would mean a theoretical current delivery capability of at least 60A
at
> 3.3V from 20KHz to 1GHz ... with two capacitor values!

How did you determine that above PDS deleivers impedance of less than
0.05 from 200 MHZ to 1Ghz?
Did you anlyze the resonat freqeuncies, poles and zeros?
Did you simulate?

> Of course, I know that this is far from reality.  PCB trace, layout,
package
> effects, etc. getting in the way of perfection.  Mother Nature always
wins.
> However, it does beg the question:  What do you really need in order to
> achieve the required frequency-current budget?  My gut feeling is that a
> couple of well-chosen capacitor values along with good layout/placement
> should do for all but the most esoteric applications.

It is difficult to draw accurate conclusions regarding how many caps are
required for
a PDS without analyzing the  poles and zeros of the system. Designing a high
performance PDS usually requires simulation to determine what distribution
of
capacitance, ESL and ESR are required for optimum decoupling meeting the
design specifications.

Best Regards,

Abe Riazi
ServerWorks