[SI-LIST] Re: Decoupling capacitors

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 28 May 2002 15:24:34 -0700 (PDT)

In an earlier message I wrote:

  >I have written some simple C code that can generate  plane models
  >equivalent to the ones in sqpi for use with hspice with any arbritrary
  >meshing. Models with very dense meshing can be very expensive in
  >terms of compute time.

As an experiment I generated a 208x208 mesh plane model. Just
to read it into Hspice (2001.2) without even doing any simulation
at all took 1398 seconds ( ~23 minutes) on a 440 MHz Ultra-10
workstation. Had this model been used for a simulation it would
have been able to simulate a board 10ft 3in  square accurately to
1 GHz (or a much smaller board to a much higher frequency).

What's it prove? Not much except to point out that very large
models consume lots of computer resources, and that users need
to make intelligent choices on how detailed of a model makes
sense for any particular application......

-Ray Anderson
Sun Microsystems Inc.

List archives are viewable at: