[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: PUPPY BUYERS

  • From: lollark@xxxxxxx
  • To: wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx, WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2005 14:03:48 +0000

> First, I think you are well rid of the Buyers who contacted you.
> They don't sound serious or intelligent enough to own a dog.

WHEW!!  What a judgmental statement.  Hope you didn't mean to just write people
off who aren't as knowledgable as you are.  I remember the pain of losing my
pet gsd and wanting a new one right away...I didn't go out to the pet store but
did research and study--still didn't know what I know even a year later.
Ah...such is learning...you never get there.

Puppy Buyers are a key moment to bring people into our way of thinking about
German shepherd dogs.  It seems to me that if we would like to see only quality
GSDs out there (puppy, show, and obedience) we could look at every contact with
an interested person as that opportunity for education and inclusion in our
love for the breed.  Certainly there will be people who are not appropriate
packs for a gsd and we shouldn't just give any puppy to any buyer. BUT we can
help them see what kind of dog might work for their family.   We can give them
a taste of the world of gsd lovers (the good side not the nasty one). :-)  No
doubt many won't listen but when I teach I hope for at least a few in the
classroom who "get it" and go on to use the skills.
I was in puppy kindergarten with someone with a Pet City german shepherd and it
was sad.  The poor dog was barely recognizable as a gsd and had a shy and timid
temperament cowering in the corner with the owner.  The woman looked at my dog
and said, "so that's what a german shepherd is supposed to look like?".  She
meant it in a learning way.  Her story too was "we were just so anxious to get
a dog".  In a society that thrives on instant gratification we might want to
consider an educational campaign about the importance of WAITING and learning
before acquiring a puppy.

I know many of you do this already (the education)...maybe community seminars
on the gsd at the local rec center.
Blessings to all of you from Colorado where we should get over freezing today.
WHOOOHOOO.
Karen Lollar