[ SHOWGSD-L ] Re: PUPPY BUYERS

  • From: Stephen Reierstad <wmj1944@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: WyMarGSD2@xxxxxxx, Showgsd-l <showgsd-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2005 17:36:58 -0800 (PST)

Dawnmarie wrote:
"Would love to know how those who can do this... how do you know who
you can
trust and who you cant by one meeting?   Would love some helpful
hints :)"

First, I think you are well rid of the Buyers who contacted you.
They don't sound serious or intelligent enough to own a dog.

It seems to me there are a lot of factors involved.  First, the
impressions you get from the phone contact.  Do they ask the right
questions?  Do they "screen" you, as a Breeder, to show they are
serious about finding a good Puppy through a good Breeder?  How about
their answers to the questions you ask on the phone: do they sound
right to you?  I have sent people packing over the phone, just
because I didn't like their answers, or in a couple of cases, buyers
who first said "I want the Meanest one in the Litter".

Then there's the meeting itself.  Do the buyers' actions square with
the way they came across on the phone?  How do they relate to the
Puppies?  If they have children, are the children well-behaved and
respectful of the parents, and the puppy?  I have disqualified two
buyers because I felt that the Children wouldn't know how to behave
around a Puppy, and the Parents didn't do anything to control them.

I also watch for how the buyers and family interact with each other
about getting the Pup.  If one is ambivalent or against the idea, NO
PUPPY!!.  I want my Pups in homes where everyone loves and wants
them.

I also go with my gut instincts at the meeting.  I've found that if I
have a bad feeling about a buyer, there's usually a good reason for
it, and I won't let a Puppy go into their home.  Even more important,
I go with the feelings of the Puppy and his Parents.  Both Parents
are on premises, and it's SOP that they meet the buyers.  If they
aren't OK with them, no Puppy.  I also pay very close attention to
how the Puppy reacts.  Again, if the Parents or the Puppy don't like
the Buyers, there's usually a good reason for it.  These are GSD's
and they can sense things that we just can't, even when they are
Puppies.  I had one case where a couple in their early 30's came to
see about a Puppy.  They talked a good game, but I didn't like
something.  The dogs confirmed my feelings: neither the Parents or
the Puppy wanted anything to do with the Buyers.  I sent them away
with no puppy and found out later that the man who was interested had
been in trouble for Animal Abuse and was a convicted Child Molester.

I have let Puppies go to a new home on the basis of a First Meeting,
but only if everything "Clicks."  I prefer two meetings, one before
the puppy is old enough to be placed, and another meeting when the
puppy is at least 8 weeks old.  This also gives me a chance to do a
home check, to make sure that Fenced-In Yard really exists and
contact the Veterinarian for references.  And when I let any Puppy
go, I always do followups by phone, email, and personal visits (when
possible) to see that everything is going OK.  That way, I can sleep
better at night.

Steve

Visit Two Feathers German Shepherds online at http://www.wmj1944.com
Website updated 7/7/2005.
"If you invite the Wolf to Dinner, then don't get mad when he eats something."
- Unknown