[School-GNU-Linux] SGL 3.0

  • From: "pradeep mattara" <pkmattara@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: schoolgnu@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, "Vimal Joseph" <vimaljoseph@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2008 10:57:46 +0530

1. Installing SGL 3.0 using base system 1013 is quite OK in new machines.
But in old machines, the tux paint data seems a problem case. It is not
getting installed and the aptitude fails at that point every time we try it.
(error 255). Here we have two concerns, that we expect some detailed
explanation, please!

* Can we skip tux paint data at this time, and continue the installation of
the packages of SGL 3.0 for a successful completion? After that the
interested parties may or may not (Of course!) install tux paint and
dependencies using synaptic or any other utility.

* Can we pre-edit the package list for the tasksel to remove the tuxpaint in
the case of doubtful systems? If it is possible, please send us a package
list of softwares included in SGL 3.0 (In SGL tasksel) and tell us where
should we place that to make it possible? This also make us able to install
those packages one by one from the CD or Debian DVD.

2. Its for private circulation :). The above tux paint has got some
importance after a circular from DPI. Teachers are calling master trainers
asking how to make tuxpaint full screen. Its possible if we edit
/etc/tuxpaint/tuxpaint.conf file.

For that

Open a root terminal

Issue the command #gedit /etc/tuxpaint/tuxpaint.conf

In the opening file remove the # mark from the starting of the line- full
screen=yes.

save and exit. its done.

3. When i visited a school last week, a teacher said me that many CDs, even
those supplied by IT @ school project are not working in SGL 3.0 or lite. Of
course they are for windows, but we want them to run in GNU/Linux now. i
suggested VLC media player instead of totem at that time. But there was a
mail about it, some months ago, from Radhakrishnan Master, Irinjalakkuda
telling that totem will work better with totem-xine than with
totem-gstreamer.

That is:

Remove totem and totem-gstreamer using synaptic package manager and install
the combination totem and totem-xine. (or just try to install totem-xine, we
can see that it contradicts with totem-gstreamer which will be automatically
removed.)

i dont know what the experts say on why gstreamer is set default, i agree
Radhakrishnan master for this.

4. when i grabbed a computer mouse first time in my life, six years ago, i
thought the programming language BASIC should be introduced to secondary
students and i whole heartedly tried to convince the teachers coming for the
workshops why that chapter is that much important. For i myself, i tried my
best to cross the ass's bridge eagerly anticipating that moment where the
whole programming suddenly turns easy as what Gandhiji said about Euclidean
Geometry.

Its the time that the educationalists re-structure the curriculum. With
these six years-i know what you think, there fore it is very humbly said
that – its the time to purge it off. Whatever justifications we make for it,
that will not take those young buds any where.

Do you recognize the name Julian Albo? Its he who interpreted BASIC for
GNU/Linux. See what he says:

*See an opinion about BASIC/BLASSIC-It is a programming language, originally
designed for Dartmouth's experimental timesharing system in the early 1960s,
which for many years was the leading cause of brain damage in proto-hackers.
Edsger W. Dijkstra observed in "Selected Writings on Computing: A Personal
Perspective" that "It is practically impossible to teach good programming
style to students that have had prior exposure to BASIC: as potential
programmers they are mentally*

*mutilated beyond hope of regeneration." This is another case (like Pascal)
of the cascading lossage that happens when a language deliberately designed
as an educational toy gets taken too seriously. A novice can write short
BASIC programs (on the order of 10-20 lines) very easily; writing anything
longer (a) is very painful, and (b) encourages bad habits that will make it
harder to use more powerful languages well. This wouldn't be so bad if
historical accidents hadn't made BASIC so common on low-end micros in the
1980s. As it is, it probably ruined tens of thousands of potential
wizards........"The new hacker's dictionary".*

*I disagree with this point of view, but...You have been warned!-Julian Albo
*

5. Could i ask about the support group formation for the school GNU/Linux?
Shouldn't we notice that the number of mails coming to this mailing list has
gone down? Its not because that men has got an intellectual saturation, but
just because that all doubts that we raise are crying unattended. Will u
share what u know with us, please!

6. In last week, there was a sequence of wishing and greeting mails through
this mailing list. if it happened again i warn U that i will define what
this mailing list is. (Don't stare at me like how dare you Mr.

7. And finally, is there any technic to install SGL 3.0 in machines with
nvidia chipsets?

pradeep kumar mattara