[rollei_list] Re: a little unparallel of lens panel

  • From: "steven woody" <narkewoody@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2006 11:33:50 +0800

On 7/23/06, Richard Knoppow <dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

----- Original Message ----- From: "todd belcher" <todd_belcher@xxxxxxxxx> To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Sent: Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:03 PM Subject: [rollei_list] Re: a little unparallel of lens panel

> Woody - what do you mean when you say 'the two sides of > the lens panel don't move simultaneously?' How are you > determining this? > > What you see of the front of the camera is independent of > the lens board. Let's call what you see - the black > painted part with the lens bayonets, the Front Panel. The > Front Panel is mounted to the Lens Board of the camera > via shims. The Lens Board is mounted to Focus Struts via > shims (Mr Bigler is incorrect regarding the four screws in > the E TLRs). Most likely the Front Panel is incorrectly > shimmed to the Lens Board and any discrepancy you see > regarding 'misalignment' is cosmetic. It is possible the > Lens Board is incorrectly shimmed, or the Focus Struts > bent, but not likely. > > As long as the pics you take are in focus along a flat > plane, parallel to the film plane, I'd not worry about > it. > > regards, > todd > > I am pretty sure what Woody meant was a wobbling from side to side of the lensboard while focusing. In my experience, from using the wrong lubricant on a camera, this is due to the focus cam mechanism as I described. Since the lens board does not necessarily stop in a parallel condition its IMO a problem which should be fixed. The parallelism of the lens board itself, as you know, is adjusted in all up to the F series by shims between the lens board and the support, and the front panel is again shimmed to make it parallel although this has no effect on the lens. I suspect actual loss of alignment of the lens board is pretty rare and I suspect mostly the result of incompetent repair work. I think Woody's camera needs some attention. Perhaps list members can find a suitable repair person who is accessible to him.

---
Richard Knoppow
Los Angeles, CA, USA
dickburk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

thank you belcher and Knoppow. i think i have to mostly agree with Knoppow's opinions. the problem is, by your help, can i get contact with a repair person accessiable to me? i currently live in Guangdong, China.

to belcher,

i think i can not tell what is front panel and what is lensboard. they
seem attached together and when go wobbling.

-
woody