[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflash Disaster

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:40:02 -0500

> In fact and f.e., the Metz MZ 54 manual says that using a zoom lens
> it's better to keep the flash zoom fixed at the widest zoom lens focal
> length, f.e. at 35mm for a 35-90 zoom, to assure a right exposure for
> any zoom lens focal length, except if you, for some special reason,
> needs to use the highest GN for a specific focal length, f.e. for 90
> mm to gain a few meters of light, but for this case you need to recall
> to re-adjust the flash zoom again because if you use it for a 35mm or
> 50mm FL, the light will be poor around the image center.
> In other words, the flash zoom function is not so impressive and
> useful as it looks initially.-
>
> Carlos

In my 285 it had in effect a built in filter holder.
In that I had a filter pack of diffusion and normally some color and 81A or
82B filter.
This warmed the foreground not the background and was good for flesh tones.
And this may have been before Fuji kicked in from Ektachrome. But I'd use it
for Kodachrome as well.

I did have the complete add on filter holder set for the 283 and had it
taped onto the flash. Or it would slip off.
So the sleekness of the flash was defeated it was a tiny bit more awkward
looking than my 285 would be.
I continued to use them both by the way.
Till my first TTL flash which I think was called a  4600.

Mark William Rabiner