[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflash Disaster

  • From: David Sadowski <dsadowski@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Dec 2009 00:44:34 -0600

Years ago, I knew Doyle Riley, who had his own line of studio flash
equipment called Rilex.  He died in 1994.

Anyhow, he told me he had been the one who coined the name Vivitar.  I
believe he was involved in creating the Vivitar 283.  (Riley was a
strobe genius- his Rilex equipment was small and powerful, and late in
life he synched up strobes at Madison Square Garden so they would not
show up on TV.)

Doyle Riley's explanation of the name Vivtar was a combination of the
words "vivid" and "tar," which was a common tag on the end of names
like Ektar.  This conjured up the notion of something vivid and sharp.