[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflash Disaster

  • From: Allen Zak <azak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 11:23:16 -0500

On Dec 8, 2009, at 11:34 PM, Mark Rabiner wrote:

I may have gotten my 283 for the bottom hot shoe of my Rollei 35.

Mark William Rabiner

BTW, you can use the 283 with the Rollei 35, but I'd say is quite
uncomfortable, I took this image about the Rollei 35 with the Vivitar
283 a few minutes ago with my digital P&S camera, please click on
thumbnail:

http://itarphotos.blogspot.com/2009/12/rollei-35-with-vivitar-283- flash.html

Yes mark, the Vivitar 285 is a newer and more complete flash than the
283, it has zoom for different lenses focal length and the flash head
can swivel, while the 283 can only vary the head angle, but the 285
never had the 283 massive success.

Well when the 285 came out everybody I new used them instead of the 283's.

Mark William Rabiner

Two good reasons I stayed with the 283:

Compared to the bulky, gimmicked-up 285, the Vivitar 283 is a sleek, elegant item, a fine example of form meeting function. It takes up less space in my Domke jacket pocket and is snag free when pulling it out. More important, the 283 auto-exposure sensor setting for ASA 400 films allows stopping down to f 5.6, while in a misguided attempt to stretch the maximum auto exposure range a few extra feet, the 285 needs f4. This is a critical DOF issue, both for bounce and fill flash, so the 285 is dead to me. OTOH, I have been using 283s for thirty years now with 35 mm, MF and my digital Olympus E20.

Allen Zak