[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflash Disaster

  • From: Jim Brick <jim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Dec 2009 14:34:09 -0800

Elias... I take it from this discussion that you didn't test it before using it for real. :-(

Mark Rabiner photographed my daughter's wedding, a number of years ago. She was married in Monterey CA and for a couple of days before the wedding, Mark and I went out photographing along the CA coast.

On the day of the wedding, as we all emerged from our rooms at the Inn, Mark tested the lenses that he was going to use for photographing the wedding. Hasselblad, 50mm & 80mm lenses. He took the film back off and fired the camera while looking at the flash, through the camera from the back. On the 80mm lens, he either wasn't seeing the flash (strobe) or was seeing the shape of the diaphragm. Clearly, his 80mm lens was not working with flash. And it was a godsend to find it before the wedding.

To save the day, my daughter had her Hasselblad system with her and Mark just used her 80mm lens for the wedding. The photographs were (are) absolutely fantastic! Mark is a fantastic photographer, who doesn't do weddings. But... my daughter asked him and he couldn't refuse her... :-)

An ounce of prevention is always worth a pound of cure... and in some cases, a ton of cure!

Jim

On Dec 6, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Elias Roustom wrote:

My suspicion served me well AFTER the fact.
My manual is in French, and my French n'est pas si bon.

As always, your help is much appreciated Carlos.

Elias

On Dec 6, 2009, at 12:07 PM, CarlosMFreaza wrote:

I forgot to add the manual also says that for the case:
Self-timer+X-sync+bulb lamp (only combo to shoot with the self-timer
and bulb lamps), the best shutter speed is 1/25.
Interesting to note that for the same reason, the Rolleimagic flash
sync is 1/30 and X only, it allows to use flash bulbs at X sync.

Carlos

2009/12/6 CarlosMFreaza <cmfreaza@xxxxxxxxx>:
Elias, this is from the 2.8C manual, page 39:
"When using the self-timer...Only the X setting will be operative,
regardless of the position of the synchronizer lever..."

It seems this is the cause for your Rolleiflash shot failure.-

Carlos

2009/12/6 Elias Roustom <eroustom@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
My Rolleiflash photo of family at Thanksgiving, did not come out. Somehow
the shutter and flash weren't in sync.

I used the self timer and I had the flash sync set to M. Is there anything
about the self-timer and the M setting that doesn't work?
The one shot that did come out was only different in that I released the
shutter myself.

Elias

- Subscribe at rollei_list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe'in the
subject field OR by logging into www.freelists.org