[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflash Disaster

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 00:17:46 -0500

> Harold Edgerton used flash to produce a stroboscopic effect. He was famous for
> his high-speed stop action photos. The high-speed photography was
> instantaneous. Flash bulbs are not instantaneous. They require what was called
> m or f synchronization. Camera shutters used to offer either x for
> instantaneous for electronic flash, or m or f delay which represented the time
> between when the shutter was fired and when the flash went off. You have the
> possibility of 3 delays for the flash when you click the shutter on older
> cameras. Only x has been retained, and they don't even call it x.
>
> Ed Farber brought the electronic flash to the populace. He used a 510V battery
> to obtain enough voltage to produce the flash. The studio units utilizing low
> voltage battery packs were often very large and heavy and not practical.
> Eventually with the advent of the transistor to produce enought voltage the
> units were smaller and more practical. In some cases too small. He invented a
> high speed electronic flash in a company called Strobo Research in Rochester,
> NY. Which was bought by Graflex and permitted him to retire at an early age.
> rather than use a very large electronic flash to produce high speed result, Ed
> Farber (I edited his column about flash) used what I think was a rectifier to
> take the low voltage from the batteries and make it a high voltage. These
> rectifiers were very large. With the advent of the transister in 1959,
> Multiblitz in Germany did away with the rectifier and used transisters to
> increase the voltage from the battery pack to produce a practical hand-held
> electronic flash unit.
>
> Ed Meyers

Instantaneous though relatively speaking.
Flash duration is a thing we talk about.
Studio strobes can have shockingly long flash duration.
A subject jumping in the air will show motion.

But the flash durations on on camera flashes are much shorter than people
realize. If your are closer in it can be 1/41,600 of a second.
Enough to make any rushing water look like ice.
Freeze the eyelashes off a Superman.

The flash I use most often now is the SB-800 Nikon
1/1050 sec. at M1/1 (full) output
duration 1/1100 sec. at M1/2 output
(approx.) 1/2700 sec. at M1/4 output
1/5900 sec. at M1/8 output
1/10900 sec. at M1/16 output
1/17800 sec. at M1/32 output
1/32300 sec. at M1/64 output
1/41600 sec. at M1/128 output

As Jodi Foster said in Maverick:
"Was that fast? I thought that was fast. Was it fast? Was it?"

Mark William Rabiner