[rollei_list] Re: Rolleiflash Disaster

  • From: Mark Rabiner <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Dec 2009 18:54:00 -0500

> Wow, it's been a long time but I am pretty sure the early thyristors,
> once triggered, couldn't be turned off, similar to the effect one got
> with a pair of transistors triggering each other.  (NPN-PNP
> combination I think)
>
> DAW

Whatever a thyristors might have really been I wish I knew but I new the
effects.
Its made for a flash which recycled must faster than the flashes which came
before. I assumed and I can see how I may be wrong that it was tied in to
the Auto feature which had 4 settings each setting a color.
If you were shooting something 5 or 7 feet away which was most often the
case each flash did not use the entire charge of the battery so you could
shoot several frames in 10 or 15 seconds.
If you word the 510 battery on your belt like I did you could do this for
many  minutes till the thing got hot.
I shot many Sports illustrated bathing suit issues with mine on tropical
islands. With Elvis P. the art director and Marilyn M. the head stylist.

The 285 could not use the battery pack so they came out with the 285HV which
could. I got that one.

In my last years in the 90's I used a Norman 200c with my Hasselblad or
Rollei. Said good by to auto colors. Said hello to the inverse square law:
Double or half the distance =
Two f stops.

Mark William Rabiner