[rollei_list] Re: Print Exchange

  • From: Marc James Small <marcsmall@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 00:03:42 -0400

At 12:19 PM 5/18/2008, slobodan dimitrov wrote:

>The issue is not whether one is better than the other. What I brought
>up was the need to maintain proficiency through practice in one area
>of photography, i.e. darkroom practice.
>Using exchanges, such as postcards, prints, etc., is a way of
>providing purpose to using the darkroom.

Slobodan

I have thought a lot about what you wrote in this message. Allow me to protest mildly on two points and to agree with you otherwise.

First, none of us should need to use the existence of a print exchange as an excuse to shoot film, and you sort-of suggested this, though I suspect that this was not what you meant to say.

Second, many of us just cannot support a darkroom at present. I have moved houses twice in six years, and neither of my later two houses were set up for a convenient dark-room. My wife and I plan on my resurrecting my dark-room here but it is a matter of probably three years away as other matters intrude, ranging from annoying health issues to the need to take care of other things. Bear in mind that I am not a regular professional photographer and that I have a zero budget for building another shed in the back yard (which would both piss off the larger of my Sulcata Tortoises, who rather regards our spacious back yard, aka, "the Gobi Desert", as his personal preserve, and would also lead those of you old enough to remember Monty Python's Flying Circus to start referring to our Listmeister as "Arthur 'Two-Sheds' Jackson"). I have never done a show in my life. On very rare occasions, I will shoot a wedding or a jazz show or a CD cover and now have the work done commercially, but I am hardly a real professional, so building a dark-room is a matter of dodging zoning laws while dealing with contractors and running various water liens und so weiter. It is not nearly as easy as you might suppose: I have the equipment but not an adequate space at present.

Yes, I could use the guest bath-room. It would be exceedingly cramped and I would have to be constantly shifting my two enlargers back into the hall or into the bath-room and, even then, the enlarger could only be placed on a toilet, hardly the steadiest of perches. And my wife is to have her knee replaced in a few weeks, and her daughters are coming to visit, so this has to be deferred into July, at the earliest, after the traffic ceases, and, then, I have my own appointment with the neurologist for this thoughts on why my vision is getting fuzzy, as the opthomalogists have abandoned all hope as it seems that I am lacking an obvious problem such as a fatal brain tumor or the like.

In the interim, I have an Epson Perfection 1200S scanner kindly donated to me by a List member, and I have an Epson R200 printer, on which I find it barely possible to pay the price of the Epson cartridges, even if others were available. Those are tools at hand, and that is it. It will not get much better for several years but I do expect to get my Beseler 23CX-II enlarger with its Rodenstock APO lenses and my Leitz V-35 back up and running at some point. Hell, I have been thinking about setting up a lab for art and low-production work. I have the gear and if I find an abandoned gas station somewhere, I might do it. There certainly is a market for such work, and it would not take a massive amount of funds to establish.

I do fully agree with you on several points:

-- Digital is great but only if you concentrate on doing digital. And it is grotesquely expensive both in terms of the cameras and the need to buy a new one every year or three and in terms of the computer -- I am happily working with a 2002 Pentium-Four computer working on XP Professional and I don't even own a DVD drive and still have a floppy drive -- and in terms of the software -- I believe that a basic Photoshop package now runs around $700 or so, and this is replaced completely every year or two. I do own a copy of Photoshop 5 (years ago, back when Bob Shell was still on the List, he gave me a royal tearing for having such obsolete software) but I cannot understand this well, so I use it to scan and then process the scans with Irfanview. Again, to use digital properly, you really have to understand the entire system, and I am limited on all points. My computer may be old, but, then, I have a set of AR wireless speakers, so I can crank on, say Bruce Williams, in the evening, then grab a speaker, and go downstairs to fry up some Jersey Pork Roll with fixin''s (THEC, for the cognescenti: Jerry Lehrer might get this, and so should Mark Rabiner) (There is a diner in Roanoke, Virginia, called the Texas Tavern for reasons never comprehended: it is open all night and those who eat there know how to order "a bowl of chili with" or the like. Damn, I miss that place.) And I can hear Bruce through it all. He's only carried on XM locally, and these AR speakers are a hell of a lot cheaper than an XM subscription!)

Seriously, Digital costs money and continues to cost money which analog does not do: once we have the gear, we have the gear, and the only costs are for what the military calls "consumables" -- film, chemistry, and printing paper. The processes originate from a common point, but have grown so desperately apart that it is hard for those from one world to speak to a chap from the other.

And money does rule: it will cost me no less than $10,000 to re=establish my dark-room. It would cost my an initial like cost or more to invest in a digital rig (camera, quality scanner, quality printer, plus a course in how to use Photoshop). And the consumables are much heftier, from these rag papers that Mark Rabiner praises to the special toners Daniel Ridings misses. Basic fiber paper (you guys keep griping about RC paper but who ever used that for real prints? We all used FB paper, so let us compare like to like). I have a Rolleiflex 2.8GX and an F and a load of other cameras. I have he enlargers. I have the printing trays, and so forth. So a large investment into digital for me is silly, especially as I am 58 and my use-by date is only thirty years or so hence, and what I have will outlive me, and, yes, in 2040, I will still be able to find miniature and medium format films and chemistry and printing papers, though at a cost but, then, not a cost as charged by digital.

Slobodan is correct to point out, though not directly, that you best understand photography if you do your own darkroom work. Let's leave that one to a different day.

I joined the LUG Print Exchange and all Hell broke loose when I singed up late. And then I learned of Slobodan's reasonable views and so I punted, to the great annoyance of many, though I will be happy to send them a scan of the shot I was going to send them digitally.

Uncle Dick Stein over on the Ha$$elblad List used to do a print exchange. I participated one year and I sent him the pumpkin picture as is now on Flickr; I sent him an actual Ilfochrome from the chrome, but I never heard back from that. Hmm. I still suspect editorial comment, but, then, Uncle Dick and I go back to the old Hassie List. Its nice to have friends.

Marc

msmall@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Cha robh bàs fir gun ghràs fir!