[rollei_list] Re: Print Exchange?

  • From: Don Williams <dwilli10@xxxxxxx>
  • To: rollei_list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 11:41:35 -0500

At 01:28 AM 5/16/2008 -0400, you wrote:
Hi Richard,

Just saw the timing on my call for entries & rules for the exchange.
Didn't mean it in response to this message.
I for one would love to have one of your prints as part of a collection.
Maybe we can do a digital print exchange in the Fall, but keep this
one for darkroom prints.
(I don't have access to a good ink jet until the semester starts again).

I've seen some high end B&W inkjet work, and I must admit I was blown
away. A friend of mine was custom imprinting some very large prints
in his finishing shop (to sell to collectors). He called them
posters. The image was a portrait of a native American in head-dress,
and it was flawless. Not a stray spec, no artifacts, just pure tone.

E.

I would be interested in an exchange using ink jet printing if it comes to pass.

My darkroom is long gone, however today, 6 months after moving, I have my inkjet filled with new ink and all the nozzles are working. Of course for B&W you only need one set working.

Now to connect my scanner and then find some original negatives to scan. I am pretty sure that all the scans I have saved from the past have already been cropped, and almost all of them are in color. I did salvage, from the fire a few years back, my 120 size negative box. The 35mm box, with history going all the way back to grade school, went missing with the clean up crew.

Anyhow, I do have some good B&W negatives, and should be un-packed here within the year. My first Rollei shots were in Hong Kong and were indeed B&W, circa 1956. (That's where I bought my first Rollei, a 3.5C with all the fixings).

If this does indeed come to pass, I assume we would be allowed to at least adjust the contrast, brightness, and gamma, just no fancy stuff.

DAW