[ratpack] Re: Carls Winter cross photos

  • From: "Larry Knight" <Larry.Knight@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Nov 2009 11:05:56 -0700

Hi Rat Packers,

Sorry I have been away from e-mail for 4 or 5 days, let me catch up.

Tilt:

That Ferrari has waaaaaaay too much of it! (but I can live with almost
any flawed photo as long as it has a Ferrari 355 in it)  I agree with
most of you, tilt can help (as can cropping, like Paul's star Mazda
shot) I use it a lot. That shot of the blue and yellow bike I showed at
last months lunch was a straight shot and then I tilted it and it made
all the difference (see attached).

I shoot tilted quite a bit (no snide comments please)(it's a given I'm a
little tilted anyway), just because I like it. Occasionally on a full
frame shot when you tilt it with software, you mess up the relationship
to the edges or even lose some of the car/bike/subject. So I like to
shoot with a little tilt some of the time at every event.

Thank you all for the oversteer, I need a daily dose, and Paul your MR2
and Carl that Vette have caught me up to my allowed daily dosage. More
tomorrow please!!

Paul and Carl, you guys get the Iron Man Photog award. I almost came out
at noon. I came out of my son's basketball practice and the sun was out
and no wind. By the time I got home, had lunch, and dusted off the
camera, the wind was blowing, it was snowing hard and I wimped out (I
went and saw 2012 instead, great computer aided graphics). How many of
us have pictures of "race" cars with snow falling. I also can't believe
how many 911's were out there (based on your pictures Paul)(by the way,
the 10th picture in you slide show on your site is my favorite, just
something about that shot)(Well and of course the spinning MR2 is great
too!!).

Paul I may just have to look into the snow cross thing for the Miata. No
shagging of cones (in the rain) is a huge draw. I know when I read the
sign up form, it said any car that qualifies to run autocross can run
snow cross,  it perked up me interest. I still think they probably won't
let me run on the track because I don't have a roll bar (yet). But will
find out and maybe you get some shots of my car with snow falling.

Ray I love that HDRI shot, isn't that Mt. Olympus in the background?
That is a great shot.

Later

Larr