[ratpack] Re: Car show photos

  • From: Ray The Rat <RayTheRat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ratpack@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 03:14:01 -0600

On 10/26/2010 6:02 PM, Dan Greenberg wrote:
Actually Ray they look pretty good all things considered.

Thank you.  I think "all things considered" is the key phrase here.

Did you use flash on them?

Yes. 80 percent of 'em were shot from the shady side using a 430EX strobe with a Sto-Fen diffuser. That seemed to be about the only way to combat the mottling caused by the variegated light...by not shooting it.

Have you ever tried HDR for this?

I'm trying it on the next set of show photos. With Photomatix's ability to tone-map single images and not bitch about a lotta stuff (not to mention that it runs a lot faster than previous versions), it's made it possible to use the tone compressor and get pretty good results. I'm adding a coupla examples. This wasn't a bad example to start with, but it was pretty washed out by the harsh backlight...even though I used an attached flash (I spose I could have used a remote cable and held it above the car.) The first image (028u) is just a crop and re-size. The 2nd is a crop and re-size after running it thru Photomatix. The last one (02r8) is what the viewer will have to put up with. It's an edited version of the Photomatix output.

I did the editing in Corel Paint Shop Pro, which I like better than PS CS5, which I also own. I'm tryin to force myself to learn a little more every day....but still... Anyway, on the final version, I changed the levels a bit, removed the wires and pole (using the scratch remover and healing bush tools), replaced the sky with a somewhat believable blue color and added a sunburst over the flare just for the hell of it. It wasn't a quick edit, but it wasn't the worst I've ever had to deal with, either.

I'm gonna try a couple more. If yer interested, lemme know and I'll send ya the end results.

I have been doing quite a bit of it in these kind of situations with a decent
rate of success.  The only
problem is it does dramatically increase work flow time.  And it certainly
doesn't work for extreme situations.

Well, intense editing doesn't do much for the work flow wither it's HDR or just "old-fashioned" contrast, levels, color-correction, etc, anyway.

Thanks for the note. Btw, I can't remember who sent this link, but it's a pretty kool site, and I hope to be able to get thru the tutorial eventually...in my spare time. :)

Dan