[pythian] Re: Physics Library

  • From: "kk" <krauspe@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 20:57:40 +0200

> Kamil, perhaps you could explain the problem you had in detail.  You
> mentioned the aync calculations yesterday and the time division problems,
> but I thought our engine was working on 10ms time steps now.  What's the
> issue keeping us from using ODE?

That it does not work well with Pythian and Delphi 7 compiler. It worked
fine in D5, and I don't how to fix it. I have tried both conversions - the
one I have made (and I have made the first ODE conversion to Delphi haha ;)
and I have tried also the ODE conversion made by Mattias Fagerlund. I have
also contacted him and tried to debug the bug, but no clue.

The 10ms time steps are fine. The problem is inside the DoDynamics procedure
as it is run in TMovingObject.Update. It should be run in the normalized
Physics engine cycle. Nothing easier than that, but there is also a
different problem. If I rememember well, there are several operations and
changes made on the linear velocity in TCharacterController.Update or
TCharacter.Update. Each change made outside of the normalized cycle which
works actually with acceleration, forces or time is definitely NOT ok.

Anyway - If somebody feels that he/she could implement a free dynamics
library like ODE, I will support it.

-kk