[pythian] Re: Physics Library

  • From: Darryl Long <dlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 08:14:01 -0400

> Indeed, the demos are cool! But the whole library is designed for C so
> somebody would need to do a header conversion. (roughly 5000
> lines if I'm not mistaken)

Yeah... you busy?  ;D

> I don't know if you guys have heard about ODE which stands
> for Open Dynamics Engine.

Yes, Kamil tried to integrate it with the engine, but he had some problems
with it and I'm fairly sure he told me he doesn't like it.  So, I was
looking for alternatives.  Certainly, if someone could get ODE working, I'd
have no problem with it.  I was only looking for a physics library, not any
particular one.

Kamil, perhaps you could explain the problem you had in detail.  You
mentioned the aync calculations yesterday and the time division problems,
but I thought our engine was working on 10ms time steps now.  What's the
issue keeping us from using ODE?

> It's developed by Russell Smith but there allready is a Delphi
> conversion called DelphiODE maintained by Mattias Fagerlund.
> This might save a lot of work and the Engine is powerfull,
> too! Just have a look at the provided demos...

http://opende.sourceforge.net/ for those of you who are curious.

Darryl