[pythian] Re: Physics Library

  • From: Darryl Long <dlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 May 2003 15:37:06 -0400

> Our physics system has only one desing problem.

Our Physics system may have only one design problem (although I think it has
more), but it has lots of other kinds of problems! :)

We should not spend our limited resources on making a really good physics
system when we could (hopefully) easily integrate another's physics system.
I know ODE didn't work, but that doesn't mean we can't try again.

Most professional game teams don't bother to write their own physics system
any more.  It is very difficult to write a physics system that is both
stable and fast, and includes all the features players expect.  Even if they
get it working, the results are usually buggy.

No, I don't see any reason to hang on to our code.  It was a lot of work,
but if we can enhance the overall game quality and player experience, it's
worth it to let our code go.

Darryl