[pythian] Re: Physics Library

  • From: Darryl Long <dlong@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 15:02:27 -0400

> If I rememember well, there are several
> operations and
> changes made on the linear velocity in TCharacterController.Update or
> TCharacter.Update. Each change made outside of the normalized
> cycle which
> works actually with acceleration, forces or time is definitely NOT ok.

Ok. I do use the velocity in special cases , for instance, limiting the
maximum speed of the character when he is running.  If we had a proper
physics engine, I would need to "cheat" like this and I could move the
player entirely with forces and friction.

Also, for the camera I am not applying forces simply because I was too lazy
to convert my velocities into forces.  This is also easily fixed.

Other than that, everything has been changed to use forces, so perhaps if we
could solve the bizarre D7 ODE bug, we could get advanced fixes quickly.

Darryl