[pythian] Re: Physics Library

  • From: Mike Dude <at_the_drive-in@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 02:09:05 -0500 (CDT)

So we can basically give all our models "rag doll" physics? That would be
pretty cool... is it necessary for our Project though? I'm not too sure it is.

Someone being cut down by a sword will die, for the most part, much less
dramatically than someone being shot by a gun. They will get hit, and react to
the blow accordingly. We only really have to animate basic "being hit", and
death animations for this. Someone being shot by a gun could react in tons of
ways based on the speed of the bullet, caliber, angle of the shot, etc.

This physics library might allow us to create realistic missle weapons, like
throwing rocks, slings, and bows and arrows. Also destructable Fortresses
perhaps, with working seige equipment that lobs huge boulders into a wall of
1000 stone slabs, that all come crashing to the ground. <-Idea

1. Do we plan on allowing the player to move objects around?
2. Do we want the player, and other objects,  to fall from heights realisticly?
3. Are there going to be times when real physics will play a large part in the
gameplay?
4. What effect will such physics have on the gameplay, if any?

I think those are a few questions that should be answered before deciding
whether or not to implement this library. If it can be done easily, then I see
no reason not to implement it. It would be nice for the player to believe that
the objects around him in the game world will react with real world physics
should he choose to manipulate them.

-Mike