[pythian] Re: Arena Project II

  • From: Darryl Long <pythianproject@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pythian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 25 Jan 2003 23:43:55 -0500

>   the map needs to be smallish, but not to small as to be cramped. and
> example of what i'm thinking about is the cs_italy map ( i think thats the
> name ). it's not too large and yet it is spaced out enough so that people
> can hide. it also has defined fighting areas ( translating to our game -
> landmarks ) ie - the market area, the terrorist house and so on.

While I was trying to think about the design I kept thinking about
cs_italy as well :)  It was the most popular CS map when I was playing.
  But it was popular because it was perfectly suited to the game, and
undoubtably less suited to our game.  Still, we can learn lots from it.

>  we should
> concentrate oon the landmarks first and do things like place them in space
> ( where, how far up, how far left from this or that landmark ? ) and later
> on worry about how we shall join the landmark areas together.

I agree totally.  It's the approach I've seen in a couple of
professional games, but it hadn't occurred to me to try it here.  Good
thinking!

>   we can also expand on the theif idea - instead of stealing just from
> market stalls, there could be a mansion ( landmark )with security that has
> some especially valuable perls that you have heard about.

I wanted to let the player go inside some buildings, but I was worried
it would be too much work.  However, it may very well be worthwhile.  We
should talk more about this, and decide which landmarks we want to go
inside (if any).  Right now, I'm interested in the mayor's palace, the
cathedral, and the tavern.

> items should also have multiple positions to aid
> re-play values.

Good idea.  I had the items in the market changing randomly (so they are
different each time), but an even better idea is to have 3 times as many
item positions, but only use a random third each time.  That way, you
never know where the valuables will be!

> a roadblock which could be avoided by the
> observant player by a jump onto a couple of well placed boxes that allow
> access to the roof of a couple of buildings, putting the player on a
> completley diffrent path than the chasing guards.

We have to be careful with this one.  In CS you can never see over the
tops of the buildings.  Although our engine can handle more than the CS
engine, we have to make sure we limit the viewing distance from every
location in the map.  That is, if we let someone go up to the roof of a
building, we have to make sure there are nearby buildings blocking the
view into the rest of the map.

Darryl