[pure-silver] Re: having digital negatives made

  • From: Shannon Stoney <shannonstoney@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 08:41:30 -0600

My enlarger can go up to 4x5.  (the 8x10 enlarger is broken right now.)

My ink jet printer is an Epson 2200, but I have access to a 2400. In the past my efforts to make digital negatives didn't work out very well, but maybe I can try again.

My process is silver. :-) (Although in the past I did do those other processes you mention.) My paper scale is 1.2.

So, you are saying that it is better to make a negative for enlarging than one for contact printing if possible?

--shannon

On Jan 23, 2009, at 9:50 PM, Eric Neilsen Photography wrote:

Shannon, There are many people that can do what you are requesting, I for one. There are several paths that you can take. You can print directly to a contact negative material from your ink jet ( Bob, Inkpress is what you want or Pictorico OHP), send it off to a lab or someone with an LVT. Again many places that can do that. Some will be able to directly make you a contact
neg to the neg size you need; up to 16x20 or 20x24.

Then the question becomes; What process do you need a negative for? Silver Gelatin? Platinum/Palladium? Cyanotype? Etc and do you know the curve of
your neg?

I say make a neg the biggest your enlarger can go IF that is your path, if t is contact to print size if possible. If not, make a contact digital neg.

What type printer do you have?

Eric

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9