[pure-silver] Re: having digital negatives made

  • From: "Eric Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 15:26:41 -0600

The process of negative making and print making are just too different to
compare directly to an extrapolate digital scanning to LVT. I’ll run this by my
friend that is going big with an LVT and see what he think and let you know. I
have not operated one, just digital negative making direct to film with ink
jet. The last one I  had made was 7 years or so by the New Lab out in San
Francisco. Much has changed since then when it comes to workflows.

I think you stand to lose far more detail by operator error than the small
amount that you may lose in going from 2 ¼ to 4x5. If we were talking film to
film matching like direct enlargement to pos to neg, I would agree.

Eric

Eric Neilsen

4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9

Dallas, TX 75226

214-827-8301

www.ericneilsenphotography.com

SKYPE ejprinter

From: "Eric Neilsen" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, January 24, 2009 12:21 pm
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark, At the size we are talking and the fact that scanning is being done, I
don’t think that holds much water. And that is my intuition talking and not
based on tests. So much of the quality will depend on the scanner used and
settings that going from 2 ¼ to 4x5, that I have a hard time seeing how the 4x5
will lose quality. I’d be much more concerned about appropriate use of
sharpening steps and grain emulation than a small amount of image size gain if
I were Shannon.

From: "Eric Neilsen Photography" <ej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, January 24, 2009 9:41 am
To: <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Mark, Why do you think a medium format neg may be better? And Shannon, the
advantage that jumps out at me with a neg for the enlarger is the ability to
make prints of various sizes from the same output? If that is requirement at
all and you can also have a positive made and make your own contact neg
later.

Eric Neilsen Photography
4101 Commerce Street, Suite 9
Dallas, TX 75226