[pure-silver] Re: having digital negatives made

  • From: Jean-David Beyer <jeandavid8@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:29:00 -0500

Elias Roustom wrote:
Thanks for the feedback. My thought was that I could run a film at a low LPI say 85 or even 65, and then get a photo where the dots are about as big as marbles. Could be fun. But what I didn't think about, and thank you for bringing it up, is the softening of the dot's edges.

If the edges are sharp, and you use lith film, the edges should pretty mucy stay sharp. The reason for the soft dots is because of the way the half-tone process works with glass ruled screens. No lith film is contrasty enough, so the first set of dots has soft edges. Contact printing them to another piece of lith film, _with proper exposure_, will yield hard dots.

Amusement is exactly what I was looking for.

E.

On Jan 24, 2009, at 3:21 PM, Jean-David Beyer wrote:

Elias Roustom wrote:
Has anyone ever tried enlarging a laser imagesetter's fine screen negative, as is made for offset printing?
I have not enlarged a laser imagesetter's fine screen negative, but I have enlarged half-tone negatives made with a sealed glass halftone screen. All the dots and the spaces get bigger if you make reasonable enlargements. I do it with lith film and work to maintain the % dot area with the enlargement. Tricky if soft-dots.

I also made a glass half-tone screen with 0.1 inch wide drafting tape and 0.1 inch spaces in between. That was very interesting to me. Each dot was a small image of the iris of the enlarging lens I used to make the half-tone as expected. But superimposed was the part of the image, which amused me very much.

 ^^-^^ 21:25:01 up 3 days, 13:16, 3 users, load average: 4.40, 4.83, 4.79