[pure-silver] Re: counter on Nikon FG not working

  • From: Speedy <speedgraphic@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 16:16:50 -0400

OK, so the counter HAS reset to zero but the frame numbers will not advance?

If this is the case I would try this:

Get a small screwdriver - popsickle stick or whaever you are comfortable with.
Remove the back from the camera.  While applying (firm) pressure to the reset
tab
advance and fire the shutter several times.  This may require a second pair of
hands.

Could it be that your camera back might have gotten bent and the tab is no
longer being
depressed all the way when the back is closed?  The above will likely tell the
tale.

Chuck

From: janetgcull@xxxxxxxxx
To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: counter on Nikon FG not working
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 15:46:00 -0400

Yeah, trying to do the light seal without making a mess sort of scares me.  A
friend nearby did help me find the right little spring-loaded thing, which I
pressed (it moved well) and lifted (it did that, too) , but it didn't fix it.
I said I might just use it "as is" without the benefit of the counter.  Then he
sent me this info below.  Today I took it out & tried to use it.  The meter
isn't moving off of 125 no matter what, which evidently means that with the
counter being stuck on "S" something in there isn't telling the meter to tell
the truth.  I'm gonna change my batteries and see if that helps, but in the
past when the batteries go bad the camera just didn't work.  The shutter
wouldn't function.
I might just have to buy another body.
Janet

..."Janet..........If my memory serves me correctly, the Nikon FG automatically
programs the shutter speed to 1/90 of a second until the frame counter reaches
“1”.Then the regular shutter speeds can be used.  To verify this, set the
shutter speed on something slow like 1/2 of a second.  If you hear the shutter
stay open for an extended period of time, (what you know is a slow shutter
speed) ..........the shutter speeds are probably OK and delivering what you’ve
set on the shutter speed dial. But...........if you set the shutter speed to
1/2 and then fire the shutter, and hear a rather quick click, then probably the
camera is delivering 1/90. Nikon did this so that if the batteries that powered
the electronic shutter ever died, the photographer would at least have a camera
that would continue to work ......(although in a somewhat limited
capacity).........but with only one shutter speed........a shutter speed that
would at least sync. with flash.

On Jun 26, 2014, at 11:37 AM, <mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
<mark@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:Well I am kind of late to the party, but here
is my two cents.
IF this camera has any sentimental value, just send it out and get them to fix
it.  It is one thing to tinker with a camera that is just a camera.  I have
lots of them.  I have one that belonged to my dad I personally wouldn't touch.
I ruined my first camera and now regret it.
The next thing to consider how available parts might be.  Break something, and
if you going to have to look for a parts camera to replace something you didn't
know would break, you haven't helped yourself.  It's one thing to risk
something when all you have to do is pick up the phone and order the part and
it will be there in two days.  It's another when you are going to have to
search for 2 weeks and then you still don't find anything.
Again if its a camera that doesn't hold any special meaning, none of this may
apply.  But you are doing the wise thing.  Think before you remove.  It
sometimes is a lot easier to get things apart than back together.  Yes I have
that tee shirt.