[pure-silver] Re: PMK

  • From: Ryuji Suzuki <rs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:51:29 -0400 (EDT)

From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [pure-silver] Re: PMK
Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:33:26 -0400

>    Because in all honesty, and I might get spanked for saying this,
> while there is a difference between say Rodinal and DDX (thanks
> snoopy) using a MF camera and printed at 8x10, I can't see a huge
> difference and my girlfriend didn't know what the hell I was talking
> about when I said there was more grain in the Rodinal shot. She was
> too busy looking at the picture!

8x10 from MF throws grain out of equation, I agree. But some people
including myself print 20x24 or larger from MF and at this point we
are talking about 10x magnification. Acceptable level of grain also
depends on the subject matter, of course.

>    The more I shoot and print, and the more I show my prints to
> people, the more I realize that 99.9% of what people notice is the
> image, not the grain, sharpness or tonality. The vast majority of
> that comes when you snap the image.

I agree.

>     So when I read all about PMK I think to myself: "5% difference
> between it and the other and of that for a total of the .1%
> difference that developer makes in the total image output.

I wouldn't bother. Use D-76 1+1 and you'll be happy with it.  Among
what's available commercially, I'd use XTOL for most films, but I also
understand that people don't want to take the risk. It's really a
shame.