[pure-silver] Re: PMK

  • From: "Justin F. Knotzke" <jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 27 Apr 2006 15:33:26 -0400

<quote who=Jim MacKenzie] date=[27/04/2006 15:23/>

> PMK is cheap and it lasts a long time so even if it were no better and
> no worse than anything else, I'd find it to be a good addition to my
> arsenal.

    From what I have read, it's best used with older films like FP4
etc..  Not so much with Delta 400 and 'newer' films. Has this been your
experience?

    The more I shoot, the more I start to realize that is what's most
important to me in a film developer is (in order)

   1) Speed
   2) Shelf life
   3) Grain

   Because in all honesty, and I might get spanked for saying this,
while there is a difference between say Rodinal and DDX (thanks snoopy)
using a MF camera and printed at 8x10, I can't see a huge difference and
my girlfriend didn't know what the hell I was talking about when I said
there was more grain in the Rodinal shot. She was too busy looking at
the picture!

   The more I shoot and print, and the more I show my prints to people,
the more I realize that 99.9% of what people notice is the image, not
the grain, sharpness or tonality. The vast majority of that comes when
you snap the image.

   Maybe I am wrong, correct me if you think so. But that's my impressions.

   What most concerns me is loss of film speed. I need that speed since
I hand-hold a Hassy and I tend to shoot inside, near windows or when the
light is best (dusk/dawn).

    Shelf life: only because I've been burned by XTOL and once by a DOA
bottle of DDX.

    So when I read all about PMK I think to myself: "5% difference
between it and the other and of that for a total of the .1% difference
that developer makes in the total image output.

Justin F. Knotzke
jknotzke@xxxxxxxxxx
http://www.shampoo.ca