[pure-silver] Re: PMK

  • From: Sandor Mathe <sandorm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 12:59:44 -0400

>How do you keep the water from moving when fixer and water meet?

The same way you make the cocktail "The Zombie" which is a layering of
various liqueurs with out mixing them (until the first sip is taken
destroying the delicate balance).
Step 1. take an ordinary spoon and bend it backward 90 deg at the neck.
Step 2. pour in the most dense liqueur (known by previous measure with a
hydrometer?)
Step 3. hold the spoon in the glass so the dome of the back just barely
touches the surface of liqueur #1
Step 4. pour in the second most dense liqueur very slowly so that the
stream hits the spoon and flows gently onto the existing liquid surface
without mixing. Raise the spoon to match the rising liquid level.  (maybe
an eye dropper would work to control the pour)
Step 5. continue with other liqueurs as taste, patience and availability
dictate

Note: I've never done this just seen a great photograph in the old Time
Life Science series of one with all of the 6 or 7 liqueurs listed with
their densities to 4 decimal places.  I seem to remember in the photograph
that the bottom most boundary layers were already widening as diffusion
blurred the sharp line.  It probably took a while to make the drink.

>Fixer will not sink to the bottom. Fixer and water mix to a new solution.

Sandor