[pure-silver] Grain

  • From: Stefano Bramato <stebramato@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 16:45:09 +0100

At 16.18 09/01/2006, you wrote:

Bob Randall

Hi Bob,
i'm not against grain at all.
In my works i want grain, i want it visible because it's the sign of a real work with a film and all of this concern: from the shoot to the print.
I can add that there are many types of grain and it also depends of what kinda grain you can obtain with a specifical developer. Usually I use three kind of developers: developer called SB3 a PQ formula based only on my scratches, Xtol, and HC110. And often i modify know formulas to better suit my tastes. Ok let's start from this.

My reply on Neopan SS 100 is quite clear i suppose. It has an ugly grain, like snowballs glued together. I tried first to develop with Xtol, the better around my darkroom, and it's not satisfacting for my tastes. In fact i wrote that for that kinda film is better, IMO, that old friend called Fp4+. Also Neopan SS has not so good tonal extension as Fp4+ for example, and the grain in Fp4+ is quite good. I don't know if there is some psychic perception of grain but if well developed fp4+ gave me stunning results expecially with PQ developer. Very sharp and looks like fresh, dynamic and more vibrant than Neopan SS. With all my little experience I had not so quite satisfactin results easily so I dropped the SS like a "startin emulsion".

Btw if I have the choice between a good, sharp, and easily modifiable emulsion like Acros 100 that has more a huge tonal response, almost no reciprocity effect (you can shoot until 120 sec. easily with no rec.effect), very sharp and thin grain, stunning results when developed with Xtol and my developers, and it cost no so more than SS why I have to use NEopan SS.

Better have a better emulsion, and I think that if i want some visible grain I can start from Across and get grain or no grain prints. At my choice, and it's better. With Acros 100, in example, I easily got the choice of many parameters, including grain: with SS not.

I write again: I'm not against grain. It's a invaluable component of our beloved silver prints, but the better i can choose for my contax and my rolleis, the better i can manipulate thos parameters.

Ciao!
Stefano Bramato

PS: "et disco" is my sign! :-D

Et Disco