[pure-silver] Re: Grain

  • From: Lee Carmichael <click76112@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 21:02:39 -0600

I have installed over 100 imagesetters and platesetters in my working life. The issue with imagesetters is when they go bad it costs a lot of money. They cost in the neighborhood of 35K to buy one of the lower end units. Imagesetters can be repaired. I don't totally believe Lensworks explanation. There are other companies that have imagesetters. This is the way negs and plates are made these days. Direct to press is starting to make some headway into the shops but these presses are very expensive and only handle a small portion of the printing that comes into the shops. There are some direct to plate machines but we are talking 75K for the low end of these.

lee\c

At 09:08 PM 1/9/2006, you wrote:
DarkroomMagic wrote:

Actually, why compare? Ever tried to make digital negatives for traditional printing?
You can have all the benefits of digital flexibility and archival, FB prints to boot!

Yes, you can have the cake AND eat it!
I have a few negatives where I'd like to try this, mainly because there are distracting elements that could be fixed much more easily with digital methods. However, I recently heard that Brooks Jensen at Lenswork is no longer making his special addition prints, which were made as Ralph describes, because his service bureau has started having problems with it's imagesetter. Apparently, these need a lot of maitenance, and they're not much in demand anymore. Does anyone have any experience with this?