[pure-silver] Re: Grain

  • From: Sandor Mathe <sandorm@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 9 Jan 2006 10:42:45 -0500

In my view 99% (OK maybe 98%) of the time, film grain gets in the way of
the image.  I agree that the random nature of silver grain can be
beautiful but I still think it use is limited as an enhancement to an
image.  The digital equivalent  "pixelation" or whatever you want to call
it, has a much much smaller utility in enhancing an image.  I am sure
there are many that would argue that "digital grain" can NEVER enhance an
image.  I won't go quite that far.

I usually get around the grain problem by using large format film 4x5 and
5x7 mostly, but I have used 11x14.

Sandor  Mathe

Bob Randall <bob@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: pure-silver-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
01/09/2006 10:18 AM
Please respond to
pure-silver

<pure-silver@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
cc

Subject
[pure-silver] Grain

I've been a pure silver member for a number of years and one theme that
doesn't seem to go away is the constant complaint about grain. Et Disco
just
referred to it in response to a thread about Fuji Neopan 100 SS. What is
it
about grain that makes most of you so un-happy. It is probably the only
element in silver based photography that keeps images from looking like
digital capture. So, it makes me wonder why so many of you try so hard to
find a way to eliminate it. In case you're wondering, I love grain. I
can't
get enough of it. Most of my work flow is commercial and digital. One of
the
things I work hardest at is making digital files look like they were shot
using film. Adding grain that looks realistic is a big part of the
process.
My clients all respond positively to digital images that are perceived
visually to be silver based. I'm genuinely curious about this issue, so
please don't misinterpret this email as a challenge on any level. Tell me
why grain is so bad.

Bob Randall